Who Is This Membership For?
This membership is suitable for Local Authorities, Independent Fostering/Adoption agencies and any agency/organisations supporting professionals and parents who are caring for children that have suffered trauma.
What Is Therapeutic Parenting?
Therapeutic Parenting is a nurturing parenting style developed from consistent, empathic, insightful connected responses to a child’s distress and behaviours, allowing the child to begin to self-regulate and develop an understanding of their behaviours and ultimately form secure attachments and minimise the impact of childhood trauma.
Therapeutic Parenting differs from ‘Traditional Parenting’ in that it does not use time out/any form of corporal punishment, shame the child, use reward charts, expect the child to self-regulate or feel empathy and remorse.
Therapeutic Parenting is effective for ALL children, not only those who have suffered trauma. It simply works more quickly with securely attached children.
Please note: Therapeutic Parenting does NOT mean parents are practising psychological therapies on their child.
Why Parent This Way?
Therapeutic Parenting helps to create new pathways in the child’s brain to link cause and effect, reduce levels of fear and shame, and help the child make sense of their world.
Therapeutic Parenting uses empathy and connection to guide behaviours and help children understand where they came from. Therapeutic Parenting recognises that behaviour is communication, which is often based in fear. It also emphasises a need for parents to respond to the child’s emotional age, not their chronological age.
Covid-19 Support for Families
In addition to everything mentioned in our membership pack, as result of the current Covid-19 situation, we have added the below additional services for all members:
• 1-2-1 telephone consultation - We provide a service to anyone who is living with a child with Developmental Trauma and would like support. This will be with our designated experts to speak to for support, provide strategies and an empathic ear.
• Parents Space – This is a virtual support group that is run every evening for members to take part in to gain support, advice and to vent about any difficulties you are facing at present, coronavirus related or not.
• FREE Weekly webinars - These are intended to support families due to covid-19.
So far we have held these webinars:
• Home schooling
• Calming the angry child
• Too Much is Never Enough
• Teens in Crisis
• The A-Z of Therapeutic Parenting with Sarah Naish
• Maintaining PACE in a Crisis
• Reconnecting with your child.
• Through our eyes – A men’s Perspective
• Introduction to De-escalation
We are giving you the opportunity to offer the amazing benefits of membership to your staff and families at a discounted price by signing up as a ‘Registered Corporate Member’.
Corporate Membership starts from £300*
How To Join:
If you and your agency would like to become part of this ever-growing organisation and develop your skills in trauma, please request a Corporate Information Pack from or telephone 01453 519000.
*£300 per agency, plus £45 per family/supporting professional. Discounts available on multiple memberships.